Pop Viz: What music matters most to KEXP?

March 24, 2014

KEXP is a local public radio station here in Seattle. It’s an awesome station and they play lots of indie and lesser known bands. They stream online, so everyone can enjoy their awesomeness. They also keep a live-updated playlist that shows every song they ever played since 2001. Pretty incredible and kind of a data-slash-music-nerd’s dream (and definitely worth supporting!). I used import.io to scrape everything from 2013. I’m going to work on getting the other years in there, too.

I had all kinds of grand ideas on what kinds of things I would do with this data. I made a lot of crazy looking charts. But when it came down to it, the simplest charts told the best stories. So I scaled back. What ended up being what I think is the most interesting dashboard with this data is pretty plain. It’s simply how many plays a dj played an artist/album/song.

Learn About Tableau

If you want a little more depth than that, I made another dashboard that will let you see which songs by a particular artist each DJ plays and when they play it:

Learn About Tableau

I was playing with some of the time-based data as well. When I did a plot of Week vs Song Plays, it’s pretty obvious to see when KEXP is doing a pledge drive; number of songs played drops over 15% each time. I also looked at the weekly schedule by making a heat map of days of the week versus hours in the day. You can see blocks where they play less music: like Saturday and Sunday mornings when a local news talk show plays instead. The heat map under that shows the number one artist by plays for each hour of each day. Apparently 12am on Thursday is a really good time to hear some David Bowie.

Learn About Tableau

Enjoy exploring these dashboards and learning where my hipster taste comes from! And if you love music as much as I do, be cool like me and help support KEXP!

That's exactly what I look like rocking out to KEXP on the bus.

#Main #Pop Viz
March 25, 2014 @ 9:35 pm

Can you correlate this data with how much Arcade Fire swag John Richards has? I kid! Nice job on the data analysis; I think lot’s of music nerds also appreciate a good graph.

March 26, 2014 @ 11:29 am

I haven’t enjoyed reading a post this much in a long while. Thank you for the lists and data! THIS is why I listen to KEXP!

March 26, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

So so fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

March 26, 2014 @ 11:04 pm

I love this kind of stuff. I’ll probably have questions and ideas about it when I have time to look and think more about it. Thanks for sharing!

March 26, 2014 @ 11:30 pm

Incredible data and layout! Thanks for sharing!

• Pingback: What Music Matters Most to KEXP?

• Pingback: Jewel Loree » How to Scrape with import.io

• Pingback: Jewel Loree » Pop Viz: What Music Matters Most to KEXP, Revisited

• Pingback: 数据新闻实用法宝——入门篇 | 数据新闻中文网 | When Data Meet Journalism

• August 16, 2015 @ 11:11 pm

It would have been nice to see a color swatch of each DJ next to their name on the drop down list. The color coding is not much use if I cant take a quick look at which song was played the most by which DJ

September 15, 2015 @ 11:14 am

Unfortunately, Tableau limits the number of colors you can use to 20, so there are more DJs than colors and some colors are repeated, rendering a color scale useless. The best way to see which song was played the most by a DJ is to use the DJ filter at the top. This is actually easier than trying to compare lengths based on color anyway, since it’ll re-sort the bars to always have the highest on the top.

• Pingback: Use Import.io + Tableau to Analyze Extracted Web Data