Pop Viz: Gotta Viz Em All

November 6, 2013

Screenshot of Pokemon Dashboard

This is the first of hopefully many Pokemon dashboards. Originally, I put the cart before the horse a bit and instantly wanted to do some really complicated probability dashboards. Turns out I’m not good enough at math and database structures to figure out what needs to happen to do that yet. I still want to, so if any Pokemon statisticians out there want to help, I’d be much obliged.

This is what I looked like trying to write SQL to connect the pokedex to the type multipliers table.

In the mean time, I thought I’d whet my appetite with a basic Pokemon dashboard. On this dashboard, you can use the buttons at the top to select the type of Pokemon you want to see. You can use the dropdowns below the buttons to choose which metrics you want to see. Your options are Attack, Defense, Speed, and HP (Hit Points). I’ve put reference lines at the averages so that we have kind of a quadrant chart going on. Explore it yourself:

Learn About Tableau

UPDATE: Some folks on Reddit were asking for a larger version, so here it is!

Tags
#Pop Viz
7 Comments
Paco
November 6, 2013 @ 8:13 pm

Your Gardevoir Stats are Incorrect

Jewel
    November 11, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

It was averaging megas and alternate forms, so things were a little messed up. I’ve updated it now to separate those out.

Vik
November 10, 2013 @ 7:46 am

My son is a big pokemon fan and we were trying to download the workbook to see how you did this, but it says that your Viz was created using a later version of Tableau. Did you by any chance create this with 8.1 beta? I am trying to open it from Tableau 8.0.5

Jewel
    November 11, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

Yes, it was created in 8.1. You will be able to open it and play with it soon!

• Pingback: Jewel Loree » New and Improved: Gotta Viz Em All… Now with dubstep!

• Cyndaquil
    September 16, 2014 @ 6:12 am

Some of the Pokémon here are classified wrongly? Why is Tropius a ghost type and Kyogre a dragon type?
    (And I can’t find them in the correct type sections?)

Jewel
      September 16, 2014 @ 10:12 am

These are the classifications found in the dataset at http://pokemondb.net/. Honestly, I haven’t been really into Pokemon since the original 150, so I wouldn’t know a Tropius if it bit me in the ass.